Communication Panel

Lots of questions about the internet and communications panel!

Check out this video, and if you need to contact Shaw for anything, we’ve listed the steps below!

– Call Shaw Home Service
– Notify customer service that you’re a Bulk Customer from Regent Century Park (give them the address) to help them find the account
– Then let them know your unit number
– Let them know the issue you’re experiencing

Do you need more help?

Submit a request online and one of us will be happy to assist you!